Sunday, January 04, 2009
Tuesday, January 01, 2008
Mr. Koneko-to-be's list will be posted by the end of the week. Just in case you're interested in guy reviews!
Here's a quick list of favorite things in 2007! Will follow my usual outline. I didn't have time to comment on everying as I would like and a few items are missing, but will finish that later.
Overall Best Beautiful Things about 2007!
- the beautiful ring I received when I got engaged to my wonderful Mr. Koneko-to-be
- my trip to New York w/ the Cleveland Beauty gang. Meeting the lovely NYC gals was so amazing and that trip is a precious memory.
Best of... Skincare!
- Nars Aqua Gel Hydrator Mask
- Amore Pacific Eye cream- was on my 2006 list. Ran out midyear and there's a reason it's no. 1 on my 2008 must buy list!
- Caudalie grape water
- Aquasana shower water filter- not as extravagant as cost when you reap the benefits
- Secret Clinical Strength- not quite as strong as the Certain Dri, but so much kinder on skin!
- Cleo liquid hand soap- love this stuff!
Best of... Beauty Cosmetics!
- Nars Ita Brush
- Nars Artisan "Botan" brush
- Nars Risky Business lipgloss
- Chantecaille lipgloss in Cassis
- Shu Uemura Fiber Xtension Lengthening Mascara
- Caron feather powder puff- Lemminged for 2 years, ironically after I read about it in a WEDDING e-mag article. Is it swan's down or ostrich? I don't care. It's heavenly.
- Shu Uemura eyelash flares- long time favorite, but must add to this year's list. I strayed this year and never will again.
- Guerlain Forever Gold Sublime Radiant Powder
- Bobbi Brown ultrafine eyeliner brush
- Bobbi Brown Sapphire Shimmer gel eyeliner
- Creative Nail Design Sticky Base Coat- Has made a world of difference!!!
- Good Skin Cream blush- surprise winner!
- Good Skin Megabalm tinted lipgloss- surprise winner!
Best of... Chocolate!
- Vosges Caramel Marshmallows. OMG. A delicious chocolate shell, a delicate airy marshmallow, an infusion of sticky caramel, topped with salt and nots. It's a complexity of sugary-salty goodness.
Best of... anime!
- Bleach. It's got everything I could ever ask for in an anime, and appeals to a wide audience.
Best of... video games!
- Rock Band. Addictive. Two guitar controllers, a drum set controller a microphone. I don't like rock music, but I'll totally sing along just to play this game!!!
Best of... Miscellanea!
- snowboarding. Mr. K2B is an avid snowboarder, and his enthusiasm is contagious. My first trip was quite a thrill. I just need to get the nerve to brave the cold more often!
Happy New Year everyone! 2007 year was an awesome year, and I'm still pondering my favorite things. It's tough to pick out items! While I was making my list Mr. Koneko-to-be decided to join in the fun and make his own little list, so I'll actually have a sort of "guy's review of the Best of 2007" too!
I hope to get my list up very soon, but be sure to check out these awesome bloggers for their Best of 2007 lists.
And a special thanks to the lovely annieytown of Blogdorf Goodman for coordinating this yearly event!!
Thursday, December 29, 2005
Happy Early New Year's! Visit these fabulous sites for a wonderful compilation of items that have captured the attention of fellow beauty, skincare, fragrance, and fashion-philes this past year! 2005 has been an awesome year of intriguing finds, and you just know that 2006 will bring us more excitement!
- An Alabaster Brow
- Beauty Addict
- Blogdorf Goodman
- Bois de Jasmin
- Brain Trapped in Girl's Body
- c'est chic
- Crazy Jay Blue
- The Great She Elephant
- Koneko's *Mostly* Beauty Diary
- Make a Mental Note
- Monkey Posh
- Mother Hen's Place
- my life my words my mind
- no one knows why the wolf laughs
- Now Smell This
- Peppermint Patty
- Perfume-Smellin' Things
- She'll be feverish after so much thinking
- Slap of the Day
- Victoria's Own
I initially started a "Best of All Time" list, but a "Best of 2005" list is much more fun for the end of the year! So the former will have to wait another time! FYI, this list is a list of items that koneko has just recently "discovered" and started to use in 2005, not necessarily released in 2005. This list is going to be a bit unwieldy (but hello, look at my blog-writing style, and the whole set-up of my blog, you KNEW this was going to happen, koneko-friends!) so I'll try to set it up in a somewhat organized manner...
Best of... Fragrances!
For the koneko, 2005 will be the year of Marc Jacobs. This beautiful gardenia scent is not too heady, and has the the fresh quality of flowing water and green nuances to tone down the creamy sweetness of the beautiful gardenia bud.
Dior Addict 2, Boucheron Trouble Eau Legere Nacree, Armani Prive Luxe Collection: Bois d'Encens, Tipton Charles Sandalwood, Serendipitous.
Special:Red Flower candles
Best of... Skincare!
- Amore Pacific Intensive Vitalizing Eye Serum - I can actually feel it work.
- Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Roll-On deoderant - My sensitive skin gets a breather from anti-perspirants every once in a while!
Best of... Fashion!
- BCBG Max Azria dresses! His styles really suited me this year!
- Hollywood Fashion Tape - how did I ever get along without this?! Those "I love this shirt but it always looks a bit awkward when I move in a certain way" moments are OVER! It really makes an outfit "finished!"
- Dansko clogs - my feet and legs are thanking me everyday.
Best of... Books!
- The Lucky Manual to Shopping- I read quite a few "fun" books this year, but this one was fun AND useful! I'm not the best with clothes, and this is essential for those who are more in the know for skincare, cosmetics, fragrances, and other concoctions but not sure what to do once all that stuff is on the skin...
Best of... Beauty!
- Nars Brush #19 - a wonderful tool for blending perfection
- Prada Beauty Reviving Concealer/Tint- for the undereye- perfect if you have mild darkness to conceal as it's a light-as-air gel-cream formula which blends like a dream. You're in luck if you match one of the three shades!
- Caron Poudre Peau Fine - radiant and light application
- Prada Tinted Lip balm (#4)- perfect "just bit into a berry" sort of look
- Armani Limited Edition Midnight White Eye Mania palette - the perfect wintry eye that's not stark white and frigid
- Shu Uemura False Eye lash flares (individuals) - the only things better are 1) the extensions (which last for weeks) are divine! and 2) having your own naturally lush lashes
- Prada Hydrating Compact Powder SPF 15 - nice powder foundation which gives a "creamy" look to skin. And what a compact!
- Milani Mango Tango blush- (powder version of Nars Cactus Flower)
- MAC Fluidline- tons of wonderful colors to choose from, and stays on quite well.
- Armani Midnight Lip Shimmers- so much sparkle! I especially love #4, a vibrant sheer poppy color. It makes my teeth look unbelievably white!
- Sanrio Hello Kitty flavored lip gloss- totally affordable lipgloss with tons of glimmery prettiness comparable to Armani's Midnight lip shimmers and with sweet watermelon flavor too! How cute can you get?!
- BeneFit Dandelion blush- instant glow
Best of... Music!
If koneko had a theme song for this year, it'd be a toss up between 3 songs: an anime song called Inner Universe (the opening song for the anime series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Volume 1), the frivolously fun Gwen Stefani song Rich Girl, and the kittenishly playful song Dontcha by the Pussycat Dolls! Yes, I'm lame.
Best of... Movies!
- Batman Begins -
- Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Best of... chocolate!
- Dagoba Organic chocolate: Lavender with blueberries. The only other thing the koneko could possibly think of that would make this perfect would be to add jasmine and matcha to this, but that'd probably overdo it. Or kill the koneko from too much happiness!
- Matcha flavored KitKat from Japan (alas, discontinued!), and Dark Chocolate Kitkat (also d/c'ed)
Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Decisions, decisions! Well, I know it's been a hot summer, and although I've been mostly indoors lately, in frigid air-conditioned buildings, when I actually do get outdoors, the heat has been absolutely stifling, and the humidity is so high, you can almost feel the thickness of the moisture as you pass your hand through the air! And need I remind y'all of the unbearable action of entering into a car that's been sitting in a sunny parking lot for many an hour? Aiya! Now I know what chocolate chip cookies feel like when they are in the oven! Well, I want to smell as yummy as a cookie in this sort of weather, but of course the fragrances have to stand up to the smothering heat!
1) L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons- it's still #1 in my book. Light and floral, it's a very happy carefree scent, and just epitomizes the way summer should be... linden, orange blossom and tuberoses...
2) Jo Malone Orange Blossom- more citrus than floral, and quite fresh! Works well alone or to layer with other scents (esp. heavier white florals) to give them a lift.
3) Marc Jacobs- my current default fragrance; the creamy lovely scent of a gardenia bud just about to open. There really is a cool watery quality to this scent. Think of a summer evening with gardenia bushes and a lovely cool pond nearby.
4) Boucheron Trouble Eau Legere Nacree- still has the warmth and oomph I want for a come-hither fragrance (after all, we all must have a come hither scent, just not overly-smoldering in the heat!), yet just lightened a touch so as not to smother in the warmer weather. The shimmer is a cute touch, but not that noticeable. A nice opening with citrus and jasmin sambac with a good soft base of amber and vanilla.
5) Blue Mediterraneo Arancia- delightfully cool and refreshing citrus scent with the right balance of piquancy and sweetness. Like you just peeled a clementine.
6) Etro Vicolo Fiore- summer nights by a pond inundated with the loveliest lotus and lily pads
7) Chanel Gardenia- Quintessential and elegant. Just the right balance with jasmine predominates this scent with a subtley warm base.
8) Frederic Malle En Passant- Lilac, lilac everywhere! But with a wonderfully refreshing coolness from a cucumber accord.
9) Demeter Gingerale- That lovely smell when you open up a can of fizzy lemon-lime soda... it's perfect in this concoction! Fun, fun, fun!
10) Dior Addict 2- (aha! I didn't tell you that I finally got to try this one, did I? More about this later!) The initial blast of refreshing citrus softens into a fun, fruity scent which isn't overly sugary sweet. And the pink bottle is just too cute!
Keep cool, kitten-friends!
Want to see more Top 10 Summer Fragrance lists? Check out An
Alabaster Brow, Bois
de Jasmin, Blogdorf
Trapped in Girl's Body, C'est
*Mostly* Beauty Diary, Life
in Paris, Now
Smell This, Make
a Mental Note, Ombligo!,
Nice Nowadays, Self-Styled
Be Feverish After So Much Thinking and This
Bananafish Smells Like Leaves.